Indoor Playspace- Skokie Exploritorium
We were invited to join my sister-in-law at the Skokie Exploratorium one cold morning. My son was about 19 months and my daughter was about 6 weeks. I quickly agreed because we all needed to get out of the house!What was I thinking? Kidding. Kind of. We ventured over, not knowing what to expect. It is a little confusing when you get there. If you have a stroller, walk straight down the hallway to find the elevator. If you are sans stroller, head to the right to find the stairs. Once in the basement, you will find a coatroom for all of your gear and a front desk where you will pay to get in. The play area is fenced in and there is a snack area to your right with a drink machine. Strollers are not allowed in the play area, so if you have a little one, bring your carrier.
Once inside, there are some really great, well-defined areas for smaller children and older children. We even found a quite spot to tuck the littlest sweeties away quietly.
There were areas for dramatic play, which was fun for the older crew. My little guy hung out and practiced his art skills with seasonally themed coloring pages, a giant chalkboard and my personal favorite, water painting!
The next area we hit up was the STEM area which has a fun magnet area and a light up peg board. We had a ton of fun with this! It was so engaging to see the colors light up when put in the board. It was a great way to practice our color recognition, shape recognition and even letter recognition!
Our absolute favorite part of the Exploritorium was the water area! I’d say it was my toddler’s favorite too! He went fishing for puffer fish, hung out under a waterfall and had the best time!
Overall, I’d say that we will be back this winter! It’s clean and a great place for little ones to burn some energy.
- Toddler only area with small scale slides and activities
- Large climbing area & playground with tubes and tunnels
- Giant “Lite Brite” Wall-light up color pegs
- Water play area
- Climbing Wall
- Dress Up Area & Stage
- Water painting
- Transportation Station
Monday: 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
Tuesday: 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
Wednesday: 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
Thursday: Closed – group visits
Friday: 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m.–1 p.m.
Sunday: Closed – birthday parties
4701 Oakton St.
Skokie, IL 60076
(847) 674-1500, ext. 2744
The Exploritorium is located in the lower level of The Oakton Community Center just east of Skokie Blvd. on Oakton St.
Enter at Knox Ave.
Resident Adults: $3, Non-Res. Adults: $5
Kids under 1: free
Discount good for up to 2 people per family.
Tried and True Tips
- Bring a change of clothes, the water area does provide dryers but with little ones with little patience, I would recommend just changing!
- Bring a snack. There are a couple of snack machines. Snacks are not allowed in the play area but there is a cute little snack area available.
- Watch your little ones while checking in at the desk downstairs-the elevator is located nearby and little ones can easily access the elevator alone. Not that I would know.